Friday, October 12, 2012

Uncharted Territory

Now that I’m 38 weeks along, I’m officially in uncharted territory! I wasn’t pregnant this long with Rock, so Elle and I are into our very own bonding time and it has been so fun. My belly is larger than it was with Rock but Elle is still running out of room it seems. I can feel every little movement, including her daily hiccups. But all of the movement is good because it shows the baby is still healthy and active, and a lack of movement may be one of the earliest signs that complications have developed. So, I enjoy every jab, push, smear, poke, wiggle, jolt, and flutter.

At my doctor appointment this week, the ultrasound tech did something new during the appointment…a biophysical profile. Evidently, she watches for four categories and assigns a score to each: fluid level, general movement, diaphragm movement (to see Elle practice breathing), and muscle tone. There is a maximum of two points for each category, for a grand total of eight points. Elle scored an eight out of eight! So that was great news! My fluid was still up at 10 AFI, Elle was moving a bunch the entire time, and we got to see her practice breathing a few times. Her muscle tone was good, which they determine by how clenched her hands are or how tight her arm is bent, etc. Elle’s arms are always bent during the ultrasounds, with her hands up around her face. It’s adorable, but doesn’t make for a good picture when the ultrasound tech takes a screen shot to print for us to keep. So we have lots of arm and feet pictures instead.

Elle is estimated to be the size of a watermelon now and her heart rate was 133 bpm. She has not “dropped” at all yet, but I was still 1.5 cm dilated and 70% effaced. I think I even had my first real (and painful) contraction on Sunday during the Bronco game. I tried to sit up from a laying position and my tummy hardened and the most intense pain took over for a number of minutes! It only happened once, but it made my abdominal muscles sore the rest of the day! And Monday, I walked on the treadmill during my lunch hour, but stopped early because of the tightening and pain I was experiencing. I made a mental note that walking might be a good way to put me into labor if/when I’m ready for Elle to come out! For now, I’m enjoying every day she continues to grow and I’m in no rush to evict her yet.

I have doctor appointments scheduled for the next two Tuesdays…at 39 weeks and 40 weeks pregnant (the last one is my due date of October 23rd). It will be interesting to see if I have to schedule one more appointment, or if she’ll be here in the next few weeks.

Fun fact: I’m officially counting down by days (instead of weeks) until my due date now, since Elle’s estimated date to arrive is only 11 days away!!! We can’t wait to meet her!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment