Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Phenomenally Full-Term!

I can’t believe this is the day I checked into the hospital to be induced with Rock during my first pregnancy! And with baby Elle, there’s no sign of induction in the near future! I’m excited to have two very different experiences.

I am officially in the final month of my pregnancy and Elle will range in size from 18.9 to 20.9 inches and will weigh in the range of 6.2 to 9.2 pounds. She’s the size of a winter squash and is considered full-term now that she’s 37 weeks! According to all of the stats from my Tuesday doctor appointment, Elle is healthy and my fluid is still in a normal range (at 10 AFI), so there is no reason to be induced. Elle’s heart rate was 124 bpm, my blood pressure was low, I just passed the 30 pound mark for weight gain (which is more than I gained with Rock, but I’m not worried), and my tummy measured perfectly for 37 weeks along!

The doctor checked my cervix again this week and there was no change in dilation, but I am 50% effaced (instead of 40%). And they reminded me to get my flu shot before Elle arrives since she can’t get one after she’s born. Hopefully my shot will help keep her healthy.

My 37-week email was very accurate about the current symptoms of pregnancy, specifically: heartburn, stretch marks, trouble sleeping, and an overwhelming need to be “nesting.” I drink a liquid antacid nearly every night before I lay down to sleep and I definitely have some new purple marks on my hips (still no stretch marks on my tummy though!). Additionally, tossing and turning all night is a new plague (primarily caused my discomfort and my mind racing). The strongest ‘symptom’ is the nesting though. I can’t seem to sit down if there is something on my “To Do List” that I feel needs to be done before Elle arrives. And it’s the same sensation at work. At home we’ve been decorating the nursery, cleaning, organizing, washing clothes, and trying to get mentally prepared for all of the “what-if” scenarios of going into natural labor. I have never experienced going into labor anywhere other than the hospital, so I have no idea what to expect. And it’s an added level of planning for a spontaneous event when you have a toddler. We have to have a bag packed for Rock and babysitters lined up for each scenario, since we’ll be in the hospital for a few days when Elle arrives. Who knew there was so much to think about during the wee hours of the night! Right?!.

We know God is in control and we take comfort in that knowledge. We will continue to work toward having things organized, but know that whatever God’s plan is, we’re along for the ride! And we are thrilled for all that is to come (even the tough stuff).

Lord, please continue to protect our family and help bring Elle into this world healthy. Please allow me and Phil to be the parents you want us to be…for both Elle and Rock. And we pray that Rock is excited to welcome Elle into our family. So far, he definitely is! We just pray that his excitement continues once she arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment