Thursday, September 6, 2012

Here we go again...

Phil and I went in for my follow-up ultrasound today to re-check my amniotic fluid levels. It appears that I have low fluid again at the end of this pregnancy, just like I did at the end of my last pregnancy. The “quick” amniotic fluid check turned into a three-hour doctor appointment, mainly because:

·    My fluid levels were measured twice, ranging from 6.8 to 8.3 AFI, for an average of 7.6 AFI (the normal range is 10-20 AFI and at 33 weeks, they prefer to see closer to 12 AFI).

·    The doctor was running an hour behind schedule after doing a morning surgery.

·    The non-stress test (NST) machine that they hooked me up to, in order to watch the baby’s heartbeat for an extended period of time, decided to quit working today. So I had to go over to the labor and delivery floor at the hospital to use their machine.
After the ultrasound, the doctor came in to discuss the ultrasound results. She mentioned I will now need to have two doctor appointments every week (Tuesdays and Fridays) for NSTs, and every Tuesday will also include an ultrasound to check my fluid levels. At least Rock will get to enjoy hearing his little sister’s heartbeat at my Friday appointments…the one thing he LOVES about coming with me!

Other than that, Elle’s heartbeat was 138 bpm and my tummy measured 31 cm at 33 weeks along (within the normal range). After probing for a specific answer from the doctor about the possibility of an early induction, she simply said “I’d be surprised if you haven’t been induced by 39 weeks with your low fluid levels.”  She also said “the likelihood of you going into labor naturally is low” since they’ll probably induce me again if my fluid levels remain where they are (or decrease). If they induce me at 37 weeks, like they did with Rock, that’s less than one month away (October 2nd to be exact)!

It’s all God’s plan. We’ll just keep doing what the doctors instruct and praying for a healthy little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment